Everspace 2 is an exciting and immersive space game that offers players a thrilling journey through the vastness of outer space. As with any game, finding the best control method is crucial to maximizing your experience and enjoyment. In Everspace 2, players have the option to choose between a controller, keyboard and mouse (M&KB), or a hands-on stick and throttle (HOSAS) setup. Each method has its pros and cons, and the choice ultimately comes down to personal preference and playstyle. Let’s take a closer look at each option.
Everspace 2 – The Best Control Method: Controller, Keyboard, or HOSAS
Controller – Console-like Comfort
Using a controller provides a familiar and comfortable gaming experience for those who enjoy playing on consoles or prefer a more laid-back approach. Everspace 2 is fully compatible with controllers, allowing players to seamlessly navigate their spacecraft through space. The analog sticks provide smooth and precise control over your ship’s movement, and the button layout is intuitive and easy to grasp. It’s worth noting that the game was initially designed and balanced around M&KB, but the controller implementation is solid and perfectly manageable.
One potential drawback of using a controller is the limited number of inputs available compared to a keyboard or HOSAS setup. This may require some button remapping or sacrificing certain functions for others. Moreover, precise rolling movements can be challenging with a controller, as the analog sticks are primarily designed for pitch and yaw control. However, for players who prioritize comfort and prefer a more casual gaming experience, a controller can be a viable and enjoyable option.
Pros of Controller in Everspace 2:
- Comfortable and Familiar: If you’re accustomed to console gaming or prefer the layout and feel of a controller, using one for Everspace 2 feels natural and enjoyable.
- Immersive Experience: The compact design and rumble feedback of modern controllers enhance immersion, making space travel and combat more engaging than ever.
- Easier Maneuvers: Controller joysticks provide smoother and precise analog movements, perfect for delicate maneuvers and dogfights.
Cons of Controller in Everspace 2:
- Limited Button Availability: Controllers have a finite number of buttons, which may result in some complex actions requiring button combinations or menu navigation.
- Less Customization: While you can remap buttons to some extent, the overall customization options may be limited compared to other control methods.
Keyboard and Mouse (M&KB) – Precision and Adaptability
The traditional keyboard and mouse setup offers unparalleled precision and adaptability in space simulations. Everspace 2 was initially designed with M&KB controls in mind, so this method provides a seamless and balanced experience. Mouse movements allow for precise aiming and targeting, while the keyboard offers a vast array of programmable inputs for all your ship’s functions. The WASD keys provide smooth and responsive movement control, and additional keys can be easily mapped to various ship commands.
Keyboard and mouse controls excel in providing quick access to the game’s vast array of functions, with the ability to customize key bindings to suit your preferences. The only potential downside is the ergonomic challenge of using a keyboard for an extended period, especially during intense gaming sessions. However, if you prioritize accuracy, versatility, and customizability, M&KB is undoubtedly the way to go.
Pros of Keyboard and Mouse in Everspace 2:
- Precision: The mouse offers exceptional precision for aiming, allowing you to hit enemy weak points with ease and execute precise combat tactics.
- Ample Keybindings: The keyboard provides a vast number of programmable keys, enabling you to map actions to your preferred keys conveniently.
- Flexibility and Customization: The combination of keyboard and mouse allows for extensive customization, tailoring your controls to match your playstyle.
Cons of Keyboard and Mouse in Everspace 2:
- Less Immersive: Some players may find the keyboard and mouse setup less immersive compared to a controller or HOSAS, as it lacks the tactile feedback and physicality.
- Steep Learning Curve: Mastering the keyboard and mouse controls may require a learning curve, especially for players new to the PC gaming scene.
Hands-on Stick and Throttle (HOSAS) – The Ultimate Immersion
For the die-hard space simulation enthusiasts who crave the highest level of immersion, a hands-on stick and throttle setup is a dream come true. With HOSAS, players can experience the thrill of piloting their spacecraft as if they were truly in the cockpit. Pitch, yaw, roll, and thrust can be controlled separately, replicating the intricate movements of a spaceship with unparalleled precision.
HOSAS setups typically involve two joysticks – one for pitch and roll control, and another for yaw. Some players also incorporate rudder pedals for an added level of immersion. This setup allows for the most intuitive and immersive control scheme, reminiscent of classic space combat games like Descent. While HOSAS setups require a bit of initial configuration and mapping, the end result is a control method that offers tremendous flexibility and responsiveness.
It’s important to note that Everspace 2 does not come with pre-made presets for HOSAS setups, so players will need to spend some time mapping their controls to their specific hardware. Additionally, the game’s arcade-like nature has led some players to dismiss HOSAS setups as unnecessary or overkill. However, if you prioritize immersion and love the idea of hands-on control, HOSAS can offer a uniquely satisfying gaming experience.
Pros of HOSAS in Everspace 2:
- Immersive Flight Experience: With two joysticks, you can precisely control your spaceship’s pitch, roll, yaw, and thrust, closely simulating a real pilot’s experience.
- Fast and Responsive: The use of joysticks provides quicker response times and snappier gameplay, perfect for intense combat situations.
- Customization Galore: HOSAS setups give you the freedom to assign various actions to different buttons, accommodating your playstyle and ensuring optimal control.
Cons of HOSAS in Everspace 2:
- Steep Learning Curve: Using HOSAS may require dedication and practice to master, especially if you’re new to dual joystick setups.
- Less Versatility: HOSAS setups may feel less versatile outside of space combat games, limiting their usage across your entire gaming library.
Ultimately, the best control method for Everspace 2 boils down to personal preference and playstyle. Controllers provide a comfortable and console-like experience, while M&KB setups offer precision and adaptability. HOSAS setups, although requiring some initial configuration, deliver the ultimate immersive experience for space combat enthusiasts.
Whichever control method you choose, Everspace 2 promises an exhilarating journey through the cosmos, filled with intense dogfights, stunning visuals, and an engaging storyline. So hop into your spaceship and embark on an adventure that’s tailored to your preferred control style. May the stars align in your favor as you navigate the depths of space!